top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Town have Zoning?

No the Town of Medford does not have zoning.

Do I need a building permit?  

Any remodeling or building project over $2,000.00 in value, which includes labor, will need a building permit.  This includes decks, garden sheds, etc.  If you are replacing your windows, siding or roof with standard materials, you will not need one.  If replacing your roof with a metal roof or changing the pitch, you will need to obtain a building permit.  The board considers siding, roof, and

windows as routine maintenance.  Please contact the Town Clerk at 715-748-3506.  The town does not have zoning, but Taylor County Zone code states that a building structure should not be built no less than 10 feet from the property line.

How and what do we recycle?

Please see the Recycling Center tab at the top of the home page.  Recycling center is open every Saturday from 8:00AM to 12:30 PM.  Garbage is not accepted.  Should you have any tires to get rid of, please contact the party that you purchased them from. Tossing them into the Town ditch is in violation.   

Does the Town offer snow removal or other services for private driveways?

No, the town will not remove snow from private driveways, nor does it do any type of driveway services for individuals.  Keeping the town roads open and maintained fully utilizes our personnel and equipment. Our large equipment is not maneuverable in small driveways and becomes a potential liability for damage to residential property and risk of damage to town equipment.  A municipality should not be in competition with a private contractor. 

What is the right of way on a town road?

The town's right of way on a road is 33 feet from the center of the road. A standard road width is 66 feet.

Where do I vote?

Registration is required prior to voting, which can be done at the polls on election day.  You can also register prior to voting by going to  You will need to have a form of identification to show your current address, e.i. drivers license, bank statement, payroll stub, electric utility bill.  Once you have registered, this will be maintained as long as you vote on a regular basis and you do not move or change your name.

Can I vote absentee ballot?

Any qualified elector who is unable to appear at the polling place on Election Day may request to vote using an absentee ballot.  A qualified U.S. citizen, who is 18 years of age or older on Election Day, must have resided in the municipality where he or she wishes to vote for at least 10 days before the election.  The voter must be registered to vote or have voted in the prior town election to be considered.  You can request an absentee ballot by going to or by requesting an absentee ballot by letter mailed to your clerk.  Your written request must contain your voting address within the municipality where you wish to vote and address where the ballot should be sent, a copy of your photo id, and your signature.  You can register by mail or online at up to 20 days before an election, after which you may register at the clerk's office until Friday before an election or at the polling place on election day.


Special absentee voting applications provisions apply to electors who are indefinitely confined to home or a care facility, in the military, hospitalized, or serving as a sequestered juror.  If this applies to you, please contact the town clerk.


Ballots by mail can be requested after the third Monday before election.  The deadline for receiving by mail to vote by absentee ballot is 5:00 PM the Thursday prior to the election.  The deadline for voting absentee ballot in person is posted on the Type E notice prior to the election.  All absentee ballots must be returned to the town clerk.  Any ballot received after the polls close will not be counted.

Town Clerk:  Jennifer Strama, N3525 River Drive, Medford, WI  54451  715-748-3605.

When and where are town meetings held and can I attend?

The public is welcome and encouraged to attend all town meetings?  The agenda is posted on the towns website under the Agenda/Minutes tab as well as posted at three public places, Town Hall, Perrin's Surface Solutions, Wojcik Plumbing.  The website is not a legally required posted location. The board meets the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00 PM at the Town Hall at W6462 Center Ave, Medford, WI.

How and where can I pay my taxes?

Tax payments should be made payable to the Town of Medford Treasurer and mailed to W6657 Cedar Street, Medford, WI 54451.  Please include the payment stub for all parcels, not the entire tax bill.  If you want your tax bill credited to the year in which you received it, it must be postmarked by December 31.  Check with your bank on your escrow account to verify the correct amount due.  Should an overpayment be made, the Town will cut a check at their next board meeting. 

Considering buying land or building a home.  How do I proceed?

Contact Taylor County Zoning Department at 715-748-1485.  They will help you to determine if you need to have it surveyed, a soil test or sanitary permit.  Once approved you will need to contact the Town building inspector Robert Christensen at 715-297-6600 for the proper permit. You will need to contact the chairman or supervisor if you put a driveway in, to determine if you need a culvert.       

What is a fire number?

Taylor County installed fire numbers to all Town residents.  The red sign with white letters should be located on the right side of your driveway.  If you do not have this sign, please contact Taylor County at 715-748-1400.  Your safety depends on this.  If the sign is moved or removed, it must be replaced.  The sign is located in a standard place where emergency responders can easily locate it day or night.  

Do I need to obtain a dog license?

Taylor County requires all dogs to be licensed. Failure to license your dog will result in a fine.  Dog licenses are issued by the Town Treasurer during tax collection.  You will need to mail a copy of your current rabies vaccination certificate for each dog to be licensed along with payment of $10.00 per dog if spayed or neutered.  If not spayed or neutered will be $15.00 per dog.  Multiple dog licenses are also available, 1st 12 dogs at $40.00, each additional at $3.00.  No license will be issued without a certificate.  All dogs are licensed by April 1 or a late fee of $5.00 per dog will be charged.    If you need to license your dog throughout the year, contact the Town Treasurer at 715-748-2230. 

Forms to apply for a license are enclosed with your taxes each year and are available on the town website.

Found a stray dog, what should I do?

Contact the Taylor County Sheriff Department at 715-748-2200.

The ditches in my area have a lot of stuff (cans, furniture, tires, bottles) in it.  What can be done?

We encourage our residents to take pride in their neighborhood.  If you find garbage dumbed, notify the town.  Names and addresses are included and we do notify the Taylor County Sheriff Department.  Individuals responsible for littering will be cited!

During the winter the snowplow pushes large amount of gravel on my lawn.  What can be done?

The town right of way extends to the inside of the ditch line.  Many residents choose to maintain the ditch as part of their lawn.  This is acceptable as long as the ditch is not filled in to obstruct the water flow.  It is impossible not to push gravel off the roads while snow plowing and grading.  If you choose to maintain the town ditch as lawn, you may remove the gravel from the ditch so you can mow.  It is illegal for a resident to plant shrubs or place stone, or other materials in town ditches.  This could result in drainage problems or cause damage to the town equipment. 

Can I plow snow over the road into the ditch?

No.  It is illegal.  State law states that no person shall place or cause to be placed upon a road (highway) any foreign substance which may cause injurious to any vehicle or part thereof.    When the town is plowing the snow off the roads, it will hit the snow that was pushed across the road by the resident causing the blade to jar.   The resident should try to find another place on their property to push the snow. 

How do I reserve the Town Hall?

Contact the Town Treasurer at  715-748-2230 to reserve the town hall.  She will explain the reservation policy and fee.   

bottom of page